Browsing for the best betta fish pet names? Here are some of the better name ideas for your new betta fish.
Bettas are famous for their bright colors. Some have consistent hues, while others have a rainbow-like mix of colors. Because it is aggressive and territorial, the betta fish is also known as the Siamese fighting fish.
Now that you have your betta fish, what should you name it? You may call your betta fish in a variety of ways. Choosing a name includes pulling inspiration from your life, interests, the type of betta fish you have, the look of your fish, or simply choosing something that sounds great.
250+ Even Better Names for Betta Fish – Best Betta Fish Name Ideas
Even if the fish never know their name, you’ll be telling interested friends and family members about it for years, so choose something you won’t be embarrassed about.
Why Are Betta Fish Named Betta?
The betta takes its name from an old warrior tribe known as the “Bettah.” After fighting fish became popular in the mid-1800s, the fish was given a combative moniker. The sport became so well-known in Thailand that it was regulated and taxed by the previous King of Siam!
Bettas, unlike other fish species, do not form schools and will fight regardless of gender. Bettas prefer to swim alone and need a safe hiding place. Underwater caves or thickly overgrown nooks are ideal places for a betta to feel safe.
What Should I Name My Betta Fish?
If you’re running out of ideas on which name to call your bettas, we have a few tips! First of all, try watching your pet. What sets them apart? Do they appear to be very active? Is he a bit shy even though he’s been in your care for a few weeks?
What about their outward appearance? Is there any pattern that reminds you of a favorite character or a bold hue that you must notice?
Finally, what characteristics do you seek in a name? Do you want something that will make you laugh, think, or feel, or do you want something that will practically describe your fish?
There are several options for naming your Betta fish. That’s why we created the following lists to spark your imagination as you start your Betta fish adventure!
Japanese Names for Betta Fish
If you want to give your betta a Japanese name, here are a few to consider:
- Aka (means “red” in Japanese)
- Akira (Japanese for “clever”)
- Chibi (Japanese for “tiny”)
- Daiki (Japanese for “shining and large”)
- Emi (Japanese for “beautiful blessing”)
- Fumiko (means “a child of abundant beauty” in Japanese)
- Gin (means “silver” in Japanese)
- Haiiro (means “gray” in Japanese)
- Haru (Japanese for “spring”)
- Haruki (Japanese for “spring child”)
- Hiroshi (means “generous” in Japanese)
- Ichika (Japanese for “gift of God”)
- Kappa (smart Japanese water spirit)
- Kaida (Japanese for “little dragon”)
- Kaiyo (Japanese for “ocean”)
- Katsumi (Japanese for “victorious beauty”)
- Kazue (Japanese for “a blessing”)
- Kaiousei (Japanese for “Neptune”)
- Lady Hangaku Gozen (Japanese female archer and warrior)
- Mokusei (Japanese for “Jupiter”)
- Nami (Japanese for “ocean wave”)
- Niji (means rainbow in Japanese)
- Reo (Japanese for “lion”)
- Rina (Japanese for “jasmine”)
- Sakura (Japanese for “cherry blossom”)
- Samurai (Japanese for “warrior”)
- Suki (Japanese for “the one who is loved”)
- Sumo (Japanese for “wrestler”)
- Yoshe (Japanese for “beauty”)
- Yuri (Japanese for “lily”)
Hawaiian Names for Betta Fish
For those of you who wish to name your fish something from Hawai’i, here’s a selection you can go through!
- Ali’i (chief, king, queen)
- Aka (shadow)
- Akamai (shadow)
- `Eleu (alert, lively, energetic)
- Hau (snow)
- Hiwakea (black and white)
- Hôkû (star)
- Ikaika (strong, powerful)
- Kai (sea)
- Kaimana (diamond)
- Kekipi (rebel)
- Kolohe (rascal, naughty)
- Ku`u Maka (apple of my eye)
- Le’a (joy, happiness)
- Li’i (small, tiny)
- Lelemu (slowpoke, lazy)
- Luluâ`ina (freckles)
- Mahina (moon)
- Mâpina (muffin)
- Mâkaha (fierce)
- Maka Launa (friendly)
- Makai (seaside)
- Melemele (yellow)
- Nani (beautiful, pretty)
- Pâ`ani (playful)
- Pilikia (trouble)
- Polo (large, thick, plump)
- Pua (flower)
- Pu’ipu’i (short and stout)
- Punahele (favorite)
- `Ula (red, scarlet)
Funny Betta Fish Names
Although humor is subjective, these funny fish names should get you started and provide some foundations on which to expand!
- Anne chovvy
- Aqua Bob SquarePants
- Betta Midler
- Bigmouth Billy Bass
- Billie EiFish
- Blue Ivy
- Bubba Gump
- Captain Hook
- CerSea Lannister
- Darth Bait-er
- Fish N’ Chips
- Fish Sticks
- General Finn
- Genghis Karp
- Guppi Goldberg
- Han Sole-o
- Harry Water
- Jaques Cousteau
- James Pond
- Loch Ness Monster
- Long John Silver
- Megan Mackerel
- Mrs. Puff
- Papa Smurf
- Puff Daddy
- Sea-line Dion
- Swim Shady
- The Great GatSea
Names for Betta Fish Pairs
There’s no need to spend hours looking out names for your goldfish or angelfish on the Internet. We’ve gathered a selection of funny fish pair names to get you started:
- Aqua and Fina
- Bonnie and Clyde
- Gidget and Moondoggie
- Gilligan and Skipper
- Hall and Oates
- Han Solo and Chewbacca
- Jane and Doe
- Mickey and Minnie
- One Fish and Two Fish
- Peek and Boo
- Romeo and Juliet
- Splish and Splash
- Thelma and Louise
- Tic and Tac
- Yin and Yang
- Zig and Zag
Unisex Betta Fish Names
Male bettas may be given traditionally masculine names, but there’s nothing wrong with breaking gender norms and giving them a more feminine or neutral name. After all, your new betta has no concept of gender.
To begin, we’ve created a comprehensive list of male betta fish names that you might want to explore for your betta fish.
- Fishy Wishy
- 250+ ‘Fin-tastic’ Names For Fish That Will Make You Smile
- 250+ Toad-ally Fantastic Names for Pet Frogs And Toads
- 250+ ‘Ear-resistible’ Names For Your Pet Bunny or Rabbit